Rouhani called the withdrawal of American troops from Syria good news
Iranian President Hassan Rouhani called good news the US intention to withdraw troops from Syria, but said it was difficult to trust Washington’s promises, according to a statement published on its official website.
"They recently said they want to withdraw their forces (from Syria - ed.), If the truth is told, this is good news," said Rouhani before flying to Sochi for the trilateral Russia-Turkey-Iran summit over Syria today.
At the same time, the Iranian president added: "We can never trust the words and promises of Americans."
He also noted that Iran considers it important to preserve the integrity of the Syrian territory, and therefore declared that the entire territory of Syria should be controlled by Damascus, while some parts of the Syrian land cannot be controlled by other states.
The president also added that it is the Syrian government that should conduct a dialogue with the Kurds.
Among the goals set in Syria, Rouhani named the withdrawal of foreign troops, the return of refugees, and the restoration of the country. He also mentioned the issue of a political settlement of the situation, saying that the formation of a constitutional committee would be discussed at the Sochi summit.
The president called the Astana format - Iran, Russia and Turkey - a good model for solving regional problems, saying that the three countries will continue to work until security is restored in Syria. At the same time, Rouhani noted that the future of Syria is in the hands of the Syrians themselves and is decided by them.
- New Deputy Health Minister appointed
- I don't give hope the current situation will change for the better: Armenian FM on Armenia-Turkey relations
- Conference on Armenian Genocide was held in New Delhi
- “Test on the history of the Great Patriotic War” to be organized in Yerevan
- Bako Sahakyan met with Artsakh champions and prizewinners of the European Sambo Championship among Youth and Juniors
- Nikol Pashinyan visited Border Guard Troops Department of Armenia NSS
- Armenian Prime Minister participates in International Women's Entrepreneurship Forum (live)
- Stepantsminda-Larsi highway is open
- Armenian communities of Argentina, Uruguay demand justice
- We will try to justify the hopes of OSCE Secretary General over NK conflict settlement – Maria Zakharova
- Tekeyan Boston Chapter Organizing Activities, Welcomes New Members
- Politicizing Sexual Orientation in Armenia
- Kazakhstan Parliament ratified FTA agreement of EAEU and Iran
- Ben Affleck to star in and direct WWII movie "Ghost Army"
- Air temperature to go up by 5-6 degrees
- The Bizarre Existentialism of Santiago Nazarian
- Armenian military representatives take part at CSTO meeting in Moscow
- A Response to the Recent Upset at Yerevan’s Opera House in the Armenian Republic
- Cabinet approves 2018 state budget performance annual report
- Joe Biden to run for US president in 2020
- Thank you, we leave the hall: Prosperous Armenia faction MPs
- "Sabre Dance" from "Gayane" ballet was performed at the reception in honor of Putin and Kim Jong-un
- Armen Sarkissian hosted Dutch Ambassador
- Today is World Malaria Day
- Iran announced intention to continue selling oil despite US sanctions