Rouhani called the withdrawal of American troops from Syria good news
Iranian President Hassan Rouhani called good news the US intention to withdraw troops from Syria, but said it was difficult to trust Washington’s promises, according to a statement published on its official website.
"They recently said they want to withdraw their forces (from Syria - ed.), If the truth is told, this is good news," said Rouhani before flying to Sochi for the trilateral Russia-Turkey-Iran summit over Syria today.
At the same time, the Iranian president added: "We can never trust the words and promises of Americans."
He also noted that Iran considers it important to preserve the integrity of the Syrian territory, and therefore declared that the entire territory of Syria should be controlled by Damascus, while some parts of the Syrian land cannot be controlled by other states.
The president also added that it is the Syrian government that should conduct a dialogue with the Kurds.
Among the goals set in Syria, Rouhani named the withdrawal of foreign troops, the return of refugees, and the restoration of the country. He also mentioned the issue of a political settlement of the situation, saying that the formation of a constitutional committee would be discussed at the Sochi summit.
The president called the Astana format - Iran, Russia and Turkey - a good model for solving regional problems, saying that the three countries will continue to work until security is restored in Syria. At the same time, Rouhani noted that the future of Syria is in the hands of the Syrians themselves and is decided by them.
- Israel nears completion of long-range bunker buster missile: report
- Armenia, Georgia sign 2019 military cooperation program
- Turkey condemns European parliament committee call to suspend accession
- Exercise could help protect you against developing depression
- Search for flooded lions of Tamanyan kicked off in Russia following Hay Dzayn publication
- Armenian church being built in Ufa, Russia (video)
- Armenian economy increased by 5.2% in 2018
- Young blogger Ruben Yesayan shot a short film on Hovhannes Tumanyan's 150th anniversary
- SDF troops advance on last remaining IS enclave in Deir ez-Zor (video)
- Arayik Harutyunyan relieved from position of advisor to Artsakh’s President
- Satanovsky about Armenian humanitarian contingent in Syria
- Civil march to take place in Yerevan on March 1
- Today is International Mother Language Day
- Questing for the Origins of Mer Hayrenik
- Georgian Defense Minister to visit Armenia on February 21
- In the daytime of February 23 and on 24 the air temperature will go up by 2-3 degrees
- Recipe Corner: Apricot Brandy Cake
- Armenian designer pioneers Interaction Design course in Canada
- Artsakh is always next to the Aznavour family: Seda Aznavour (video)
- Vicente del Bosque will arrive in Armenia this summer
- President Sarkissian extends condolences on death of philanthropist Louise Manoogian Simone
- AGBU Grieves the Loss of Beloved President and Visionary Leader Louise Manoogian Simone
- We will continue to sharply raise issues of social justice: Social Justice Party statement
- Bako Sahakyan sent a letter of condolence to the family of Louise Manoogian Simone
- Armenian FM meets with Minsk Group co-chairs in Yerevan