Today Armenia marks Day of innocently convicted people's rights protection
June 14 was proclaimed the Day of protection of the rights of innocently convicted people in Armenia at state level, on the initiative of the ARF “Dashnaktsutyun” party.
This date was established in memory of tens of thousands of repressed Armenians during the years of the Bolshevik dictatorship, when the deportation of peoples was one of the forms of political repression in the USSR.
As early as 1939, Armenians were resettled from Azerbaijan to Kazakhstan, and in the 1940s they were massively evicted from the Crimea and from the territory of Soviet Armenia. At that time, tens of thousands of Armenians were deported, including the indigenous people of Armenia.
Among the victims of repression were such prominent cultural figures as the poet Yeghishe Charents, Axel Bakunts, the sons of the poet Hovhannes Tumanyan.
Various memorable and solemn events take place on this day.
- Trump not taking back foreign aid; Armenia among countries to benefit NEW 38 MINUTES AGO
- 'Spanish Stonehenge' revealed: Daily Mail
- Trump announced new meeting with Kim Jong-un is possible
- Recipe Corner: Auntie Zee’s World-Famous Apricot Jam from Fresno
- Technovation Armenia 2019 Program Concludes with Awards
- Armenian Artists in Research and Dialogue
- Katherine Hodgson: Researching the Beautiful and Fascinating Armenian Language
- Trump orders companies to seek "alternative markets" to China
- North Korea launches two more ballistic missiles into sea: Seoul
- Pashinyan Backs Major Mining Project In Armenia
- How to increase life expectancy?
- ‘Abandoned’ Armenian Properties around the World: Part III
- Serena Williams paired with Maria Sharapova in U.S. Open first round
- Armenian PM congratulates Ukraine on Independence Day
- Trump talks about serving '14 more years' as president: Independent
- UNESCO delegation visits Armenia Ministry of Education, Science, Culture and Sport
- Drinking coffee first thing in the morning can be bad
- Viennese Apple Strudel recipe
- Yerevan among cities Russian tourists keep returning to: study
- Over the next 5 days a high risk of fire is predicted in the valleys and foothills of the Republic
- U.S. offer to sell Patriot system to Turkey has expired: Reuters
- 71-story skyscraper to be erected in Yerevan
- Armenian army delegation attends CIS armed forces general staffs' chiefs session
- What’s The Right Amount of Sleep?: WebMD
- Armenian President repeals decree depriving Vagharshak Harutyunyan of military rank