Today Armenia marks Day of innocently convicted people's rights protection
June 14 was proclaimed the Day of protection of the rights of innocently convicted people in Armenia at state level, on the initiative of the ARF “Dashnaktsutyun” party.
This date was established in memory of tens of thousands of repressed Armenians during the years of the Bolshevik dictatorship, when the deportation of peoples was one of the forms of political repression in the USSR.
As early as 1939, Armenians were resettled from Azerbaijan to Kazakhstan, and in the 1940s they were massively evicted from the Crimea and from the territory of Soviet Armenia. At that time, tens of thousands of Armenians were deported, including the indigenous people of Armenia.
Among the victims of repression were such prominent cultural figures as the poet Yeghishe Charents, Axel Bakunts, the sons of the poet Hovhannes Tumanyan.
Various memorable and solemn events take place on this day.
- Levon Aronian reaches FIDE World Cup quarterfinals NEW 56 MINUTES AGO
- Оn 24-27 the air temperature will gradually go up by 6-7 degrees
- Ukraine’s Zelensky signs impeachment bill
- Venezuela’s Maduro says ready for talks with Trump if US changes policy
- System of a Down heading to Portugal, Spain, Germany in 2020
- Rouhani urges Gulf states to jointly ensure the security of the region
- Armenia PM makes new appointment
- Junk food impairs memory, study says
- Can you imagine if I suddenly start speaking without thinking about the consequences?
- Concert marking Komitas’ 150th anniversary held in Moscow
- British Oil Tanker Seized By Iran Will Be Released Soon, Iranian Official Says: Reuters
- Most people do not know that they suffer from migraines
- Levon Aronian reached quarter finals of World Chess Cup
- Azerbaijan attempts subversive attack against Artsakh
- Масленица Обретения Креста на горе Вараг
- Could sunscreen affect vitamin D deficiency?
- On September 22 the air temperature will go down by 8-10 degrees
- Armenia Wine's cognac wins silver at Int'l Wine & Spirit Competition
- Guest Recipe: Grapes Leaves with Rice, Lemon Juice, Olive Oil and Herbs
- Ten Volumes of Italian Diplomatic Documents on Armenians Soon to Be Completed
- Armenia Independence Day
- Putin congatulates Pashinyan
- Diabetes can be predicted at 8 years
- Trump says US supports desire of Armenian people to live in democratic country
- Exercise slows Alzheimer's Disease, study says