Today Armenia marks Day of innocently convicted people's rights protection
June 14 was proclaimed the Day of protection of the rights of innocently convicted people in Armenia at state level, on the initiative of the ARF “Dashnaktsutyun” party.
This date was established in memory of tens of thousands of repressed Armenians during the years of the Bolshevik dictatorship, when the deportation of peoples was one of the forms of political repression in the USSR.
As early as 1939, Armenians were resettled from Azerbaijan to Kazakhstan, and in the 1940s they were massively evicted from the Crimea and from the territory of Soviet Armenia. At that time, tens of thousands of Armenians were deported, including the indigenous people of Armenia.
Among the victims of repression were such prominent cultural figures as the poet Yeghishe Charents, Axel Bakunts, the sons of the poet Hovhannes Tumanyan.
Various memorable and solemn events take place on this day.
- Statement of MFA of Armenia on the adoption of Resolution 296 affirming the US record on the Armenian Genocide by US House of Representatives
- Pushed by latest Turkey aggression, House passes resolution formally commemorating the Armenian Genocide. The Boston Globe
- Today is renowned Armenian actor Sos Sargsyan's birthday
- Тhe air temperature will gradually go up by 2-3 degrees, in the daytime of 20 it will go down as much
- Armenian PM, President of Artsakh discuss mutual cooperation in Yerevan
- Recipe Corner: Stuffed Roma Tomatoes with Three Cheeses
- President of Armenia holds meeting with delegation of Confindustria Russia
- Coffee may be useful in the fight against diabetes, scientist say
- Armenia's Haypost wins first prize at Europa Stamps 2019
- 2,000 CSTO troops participating in Search 2019 exercise
- Nepal, China agree to remeasure height of Mt Everest: Times of India
- One of the rarest coins in the world dating back to 723AD goes on sale for £1.6MILLION
- Aronian and Hakobyan are half a point behind tournament leaders
- Armenian FM, OSCE MG Co-Chairs highlight formation of favorable environment for peace
- Japan Typhoon death toll rises: NHK
- Airbus delegation to visit Armenia at President’s invitation
- Armenian PM receives OSCE Minsk Group Co-Chairs
- Syrian army enters Manbij to block Turkey’s expansion
- Today is Global Handwashing Day
- Kim Kardashian “emotional” over visit to Armenian Genocide Museum-Institute
- US sanctions Turkish ministries over Syria offensive
- Remote working may increase stress, reduce well-being: study
- Lepsius House, Genocide Museum Signs Cooperation Agreement
- Тhe air temperature will gradually go up by 3-4 degrees
- Holy Trinity Armenian Apostolic Church Bread Sticks (Simit)