Today is World No Tobacco Day
World No Tobacco Day (WNTD) is observed around the world every year on 31 May. It is intended to encourage a 24-hour period of abstinence from all forms of tobacco consumption around the globe. The day is further intended to draw attention to the widespread prevalence of tobacco use and to negative health effects, which currently lead to more than 7 million deaths each year worldwide, including 890,000 of which are the result of non-smokers being exposed to second-hand smoke. The member states of the World Health Organization (WHO) created World No Tobacco Day in 1987. In the past twenty one years, the day has been met with both enthusiasm and resistance around the globe from governments, public health organizations, smokers, growers, and the tobacco industry.
WNTD is one of eight official global public health campaigns marked by the WHO, along with World Health Day, World Blood Donor Day, World Immunization Week, World Tuberculosis Day, World Malaria Day, World Hepatitis Day, and World AIDS Day.
Each year, the WHO selects a theme for the day in order to create a more unified global message for WNTD. This theme then becomes the central component of the WHO's tobacco-related agenda for the following year. The WHO oversees the creation and distribution of publicity materials related to the theme, including brochures, fliers, posters, websites, and press releases. Videos were created as a part of the 2008 WNTD awareness campaign for the theme ″Tobacco-free youth″ and published on YouTube, and podcasts were first used in 2009.
In many of its WNTD themes and related publicity-materials, the WHO emphasizes the idea of "truth." Theme titles such as "Tobacco kills, don't be duped" (2000) and "Tobacco: deadly in any form or disguise” (2006) indicate a WHO belief that individuals may be misled or confused about the true nature of tobacco; the rationale for the 2000 and 2008 WNTD themes identify the marketing strategies and “illusions” created by the tobacco industry as a primary source of this confusion. The WHO's WNTD materials present an alternate understanding of the “facts” as seen from a global public health perspective. WNTD publicity materials provide an "official" interpretation of the most up-to-date tobacco-related research and statistics and provide a common ground from which to formulate anti-tobacco arguments around the world. The theme for World No Tobacco Day 2017 was "Tobacco – a threat to development." In 2018, it is "Tobacco breaks hearts".
In 2019 The theme is Make Every Day World No Tobacco Day.
- Cheese chebureki recipe
- Levon Aronian reaches FIDE World Cup quarterfinals
- Оn 24-27 the air temperature will gradually go up by 6-7 degrees
- Ukraine’s Zelensky signs impeachment bill
- Venezuela’s Maduro says ready for talks with Trump if US changes policy
- System of a Down heading to Portugal, Spain, Germany in 2020
- Rouhani urges Gulf states to jointly ensure the security of the region
- Armenia PM makes new appointment
- Junk food impairs memory, study says
- Can you imagine if I suddenly start speaking without thinking about the consequences?
- Concert marking Komitas’ 150th anniversary held in Moscow
- British Oil Tanker Seized By Iran Will Be Released Soon, Iranian Official Says: Reuters
- Most people do not know that they suffer from migraines
- Levon Aronian reached quarter finals of World Chess Cup
- Azerbaijan attempts subversive attack against Artsakh
- Масленица Обретения Креста на горе Вараг
- Could sunscreen affect vitamin D deficiency?
- On September 22 the air temperature will go down by 8-10 degrees
- Armenia Wine's cognac wins silver at Int'l Wine & Spirit Competition
- Guest Recipe: Grapes Leaves with Rice, Lemon Juice, Olive Oil and Herbs
- Ten Volumes of Italian Diplomatic Documents on Armenians Soon to Be Completed
- Armenia Independence Day
- Putin congatulates Pashinyan
- Diabetes can be predicted at 8 years
- Trump says US supports desire of Armenian people to live in democratic country