British Prime Minister of Turkish origin
Turkey celebrates the election of Boris Johnson as prime minister of the United Kingdom, emphasizing his partially Turkish origin. Turkish politicians and media claim that the “Ottoman grandson” can strengthen ties between the two countries, Reuters reports.
Former Mayor of London is the great-grandson of the last Ottoman Interior Minister Ali Kemal, and his ancestors were a source of pride for many Turks.
Despite his sometimes dismissive remarks about Turkey, including an insulting verse addressed to President Tayyip Erdogan and demands in 2016 that the UK vetoed Turkey’s accession to the European Union, some Turkish media affectionately call Johnson “Boris Turk”.
Like Johnson, his great-grandfather was a journalist who entered the government, but this step was unsuccessful. In the last days of the Ottoman Empire, Kemal was captured and murdered by nationalists.
Erdogan congratulated Johnson on Twitter, adding that relations between Turkey and the UK will improve.
Johnson's relations with Turkey were sometimes difficult. Three years ago, he won the first place in the competition of British magazines, in which readers were asked to write texts about Erdogan "as dirty and offensive as possible".
- Тhe air temperature will gradually go up by 2-3 degrees, in the daytime of 20 it will go down as much
- Recipe Corner: Stuffed Roma Tomatoes with Three Cheeses
- Armenian PM, President of Artsakh discuss mutual cooperation in Yerevan
- President of Armenia holds meeting with delegation of Confindustria Russia
- Coffee may be useful in the fight against diabetes, scientist say
- Armenia's Haypost wins first prize at Europa Stamps 2019
- 2,000 CSTO troops participating in Search 2019 exercise
- Nepal, China agree to remeasure height of Mt Everest: Times of India
- One of the rarest coins in the world dating back to 723AD goes on sale for £1.6MILLION
- Aronian and Hakobyan are half a point behind tournament leaders
- Armenian FM, OSCE MG Co-Chairs highlight formation of favorable environment for peace
- Japan Typhoon death toll rises: NHK
- Airbus delegation to visit Armenia at President’s invitation
- Armenian PM receives OSCE Minsk Group Co-Chairs
- Syrian army enters Manbij to block Turkey’s expansion
- Today is Global Handwashing Day
- Kim Kardashian “emotional” over visit to Armenian Genocide Museum-Institute
- US sanctions Turkish ministries over Syria offensive
- Remote working may increase stress, reduce well-being: study
- Lepsius House, Genocide Museum Signs Cooperation Agreement
- Тhe air temperature will gradually go up by 3-4 degrees
- Holy Trinity Armenian Apostolic Church Bread Sticks (Simit)
- Nutritionists reveal secret of eternal youth
- New sarcophagus of Chernobyl nuclear power plant photographed from bird's eye view
- Turkey won’t stop Syria operation until it achieves goals, Erdogan administration says