British Prime Minister of Turkish origin
Turkey celebrates the election of Boris Johnson as prime minister of the United Kingdom, emphasizing his partially Turkish origin. Turkish politicians and media claim that the “Ottoman grandson” can strengthen ties between the two countries, Reuters reports.
Former Mayor of London is the great-grandson of the last Ottoman Interior Minister Ali Kemal, and his ancestors were a source of pride for many Turks.
Despite his sometimes dismissive remarks about Turkey, including an insulting verse addressed to President Tayyip Erdogan and demands in 2016 that the UK vetoed Turkey’s accession to the European Union, some Turkish media affectionately call Johnson “Boris Turk”.
Like Johnson, his great-grandfather was a journalist who entered the government, but this step was unsuccessful. In the last days of the Ottoman Empire, Kemal was captured and murdered by nationalists.
Erdogan congratulated Johnson on Twitter, adding that relations between Turkey and the UK will improve.
Johnson's relations with Turkey were sometimes difficult. Three years ago, he won the first place in the competition of British magazines, in which readers were asked to write texts about Erdogan "as dirty and offensive as possible".
- Yerevan among cities Russian tourists keep returning to: study NEW 1 MINUTES AGO
- Japan's tallest skyscraper to be built in Tokyo: NHK
- Central Bank issues Admiral Isakov-125 silver collector coin
- Syrian army declares full control over Khan Sheikhoun
- Lausanne 2020: Opening Ceremony of Games to be held at Malley Ice Rink
- Moscow to host concert dedicated to Komitas's 150th anniversary
- Ombudsman sends working group to Armenia’s Jermuk
- Ararat Armenia beats Dudelange 2-1 in Europa League play-off
- Today is International Day for the Remembrance of the Slave Trade and its Abolition
- US concerned with Turkey’s removal of Kurdish mayors
- Brad Pitt, Liv Tyler and Tommy Lee Jones in the new trailer for "To the Stars”: Galpost
- 29 years ago this day Declaration of State Sovereignty of Armenia was adopted
- Dwayne Johnson tops Forbes highest paid actors list again: BBC
- Banan cookies recipe
- Sinquefield Cup: Aronyan shares point with Shakhriyar Mamedyarov
- The air temperature will not essentially change
- Quentin Tarantino expecting to become dad for first time
- Byurakan Observatory to host 3rd regional astronomy seminar
- Iran and US problems are strategic: Rouhani
- Bako Sahakyan convened working consultation on the recent water supply issues in Stepanakert
- Trump "seriously" considering ending birthright citizenship
- Syrian army encircles militants, Turkish Army in southern Idlib
- World health report raises concerns about microplastics in drinking water: CBS news
- Deng Xiaoping's cat and flies flying into window
- Artsakh’s Volunteer National Review disseminated at UN