Trump's decision is not a precedent for Artsakh issue but it creates platform for Armenia's diplomatic activity: expert
On Monday, March 25, the US President Donald Trump signed a declaration recognizing Israeli sovereignty over the Golan Heights. The document was signed during a meeting of the American leader with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu in Washington. In political circles it is noted that this recognition creates a precedent for the settlement of territorial disputes on the same legal grounds.
To the question of “Hay Dzayn” whether Armenia can also refer to this precedent in the settlement of the Karabakh conflict, and whether Azerbaijan will not manage to take the time and opportunity of this, regional expert Karen Veranyan said that history and bitter experience show that precedents are not applied in relation to other conflicts.
“For example, when the US recognized the independence of Kosovo, everyone said that this would serve as a precedent for other conflicts, including the Karabakh issue. Expert discussions were organized in order to move this problem into the legal field, and we saw that nothing happened”, - Veranyan noted.
"After Russia's recognition of the independence of Abkhazia and South Ossetia, also much has been said, for example, that this will create a precedent opportunity for some other conflicts. Parallels and forecasts were made in Armenian expert circles, however, we saw Russia had not taken any legal and political steps to advance the Artsakh issue.
The same applies to the Crimean issue. That is, from the point of view of international law, there are problems that are viewed ineffective as there are certain mechanisms of mutual trust, as well as there is application of double standards”, - he said.
- Cheese chebureki recipe
- Levon Aronian reaches FIDE World Cup quarterfinals
- Оn 24-27 the air temperature will gradually go up by 6-7 degrees
- Ukraine’s Zelensky signs impeachment bill
- Venezuela’s Maduro says ready for talks with Trump if US changes policy
- System of a Down heading to Portugal, Spain, Germany in 2020
- Rouhani urges Gulf states to jointly ensure the security of the region
- Armenia PM makes new appointment
- Junk food impairs memory, study says
- Can you imagine if I suddenly start speaking without thinking about the consequences?
- Concert marking Komitas’ 150th anniversary held in Moscow
- British Oil Tanker Seized By Iran Will Be Released Soon, Iranian Official Says: Reuters
- Most people do not know that they suffer from migraines
- Levon Aronian reached quarter finals of World Chess Cup
- Azerbaijan attempts subversive attack against Artsakh
- Масленица Обретения Креста на горе Вараг
- Could sunscreen affect vitamin D deficiency?
- On September 22 the air temperature will go down by 8-10 degrees
- Armenia Wine's cognac wins silver at Int'l Wine & Spirit Competition
- Guest Recipe: Grapes Leaves with Rice, Lemon Juice, Olive Oil and Herbs
- Ten Volumes of Italian Diplomatic Documents on Armenians Soon to Be Completed
- Armenia Independence Day
- Putin congatulates Pashinyan
- Diabetes can be predicted at 8 years
- Trump says US supports desire of Armenian people to live in democratic country