Trump's decision is not a precedent for Artsakh issue but it creates platform for Armenia's diplomatic activity: expert
On Monday, March 25, the US President Donald Trump signed a declaration recognizing Israeli sovereignty over the Golan Heights. The document was signed during a meeting of the American leader with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu in Washington. In political circles it is noted that this recognition creates a precedent for the settlement of territorial disputes on the same legal grounds.
To the question of “Hay Dzayn” whether Armenia can also refer to this precedent in the settlement of the Karabakh conflict, and whether Azerbaijan will not manage to take the time and opportunity of this, regional expert Karen Veranyan said that history and bitter experience show that precedents are not applied in relation to other conflicts.
“For example, when the US recognized the independence of Kosovo, everyone said that this would serve as a precedent for other conflicts, including the Karabakh issue. Expert discussions were organized in order to move this problem into the legal field, and we saw that nothing happened”, - Veranyan noted.
"After Russia's recognition of the independence of Abkhazia and South Ossetia, also much has been said, for example, that this will create a precedent opportunity for some other conflicts. Parallels and forecasts were made in Armenian expert circles, however, we saw Russia had not taken any legal and political steps to advance the Artsakh issue.
The same applies to the Crimean issue. That is, from the point of view of international law, there are problems that are viewed ineffective as there are certain mechanisms of mutual trust, as well as there is application of double standards”, - he said.
- Burj Khalifa to light up in Armenian flag colors on Independence day NEW 19 MINUTES AGO
- Highest paid rapper in the world named
- Armenia climb two spots in latest FIFA ranking
- Xi Jinping congratulates Armenian people on Independence Day
- Russia’s Putin congratulates Armenian President on Independence Day
- Yuri Khachaturov's son awarded title of Major General
- President Sarkissian received Boeing International Corporation delegation
- HayPost cancels postage stamp dedicated to religion
- Iran warns of attacks by US or Saudi Arabia
- Actor Babken Chobanyan bestowed with Honorary Title of Honored Artist of Armenia
- President Sarkissian awards writer Alexander Topchyan with medal
- Today is Vazgen I birthday
- Yekaterinburg to host a concert to mark Komitas's 150th anniversary
- Armenia, Azerbaijan FMs to meet in New York on September 23
- Labor strike and boycotting of classes in Jermuk town for saving Amulsar
- Arman Sargsyan appointed acting Armenian police chief
- Instagram Users Under 18 Will Soon Be Blocked From Seeing Posts Promoting Certain Cosmetic Surgery And Diet Products: Buzzfeed
- Earthquake hits Armenia's Shirak Province
- On September 22-23 the air temperature will gradually go down by 8-10 degrees
- Armenian Nuclear Power Plant can smoothly operate until 2026, says Russian expert
- FIDE World Cup 2019: Aronian to play against Vietnam’s Lê Quang Liêm
- George R.R. Martin confirms HBO Targaryen show
- Otyan as political satirist
- Top 5 high-calorie but healthy snacks
- Today is Smiley Emoticons Day