Trump's decision is not a precedent for Artsakh issue but it creates platform for Armenia's diplomatic activity: expert
On Monday, March 25, the US President Donald Trump signed a declaration recognizing Israeli sovereignty over the Golan Heights. The document was signed during a meeting of the American leader with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu in Washington. In political circles it is noted that this recognition creates a precedent for the settlement of territorial disputes on the same legal grounds.
To the question of “Hay Dzayn” whether Armenia can also refer to this precedent in the settlement of the Karabakh conflict, and whether Azerbaijan will not manage to take the time and opportunity of this, regional expert Karen Veranyan said that history and bitter experience show that precedents are not applied in relation to other conflicts.
“For example, when the US recognized the independence of Kosovo, everyone said that this would serve as a precedent for other conflicts, including the Karabakh issue. Expert discussions were organized in order to move this problem into the legal field, and we saw that nothing happened”, - Veranyan noted.
"After Russia's recognition of the independence of Abkhazia and South Ossetia, also much has been said, for example, that this will create a precedent opportunity for some other conflicts. Parallels and forecasts were made in Armenian expert circles, however, we saw Russia had not taken any legal and political steps to advance the Artsakh issue.
The same applies to the Crimean issue. That is, from the point of view of international law, there are problems that are viewed ineffective as there are certain mechanisms of mutual trust, as well as there is application of double standards”, - he said.
- Statement of MFA of Armenia on the adoption of Resolution 296 affirming the US record on the Armenian Genocide by US House of Representatives
- Pushed by latest Turkey aggression, House passes resolution formally commemorating the Armenian Genocide. The Boston Globe
- Today is renowned Armenian actor Sos Sargsyan's birthday
- Тhe air temperature will gradually go up by 2-3 degrees, in the daytime of 20 it will go down as much
- Armenian PM, President of Artsakh discuss mutual cooperation in Yerevan
- Recipe Corner: Stuffed Roma Tomatoes with Three Cheeses
- President of Armenia holds meeting with delegation of Confindustria Russia
- Coffee may be useful in the fight against diabetes, scientist say
- Armenia's Haypost wins first prize at Europa Stamps 2019
- 2,000 CSTO troops participating in Search 2019 exercise
- Nepal, China agree to remeasure height of Mt Everest: Times of India
- One of the rarest coins in the world dating back to 723AD goes on sale for £1.6MILLION
- Aronian and Hakobyan are half a point behind tournament leaders
- Armenian FM, OSCE MG Co-Chairs highlight formation of favorable environment for peace
- Japan Typhoon death toll rises: NHK
- Airbus delegation to visit Armenia at President’s invitation
- Armenian PM receives OSCE Minsk Group Co-Chairs
- Syrian army enters Manbij to block Turkey’s expansion
- Today is Global Handwashing Day
- Kim Kardashian “emotional” over visit to Armenian Genocide Museum-Institute
- US sanctions Turkish ministries over Syria offensive
- Remote working may increase stress, reduce well-being: study
- Lepsius House, Genocide Museum Signs Cooperation Agreement
- Тhe air temperature will gradually go up by 3-4 degrees
- Holy Trinity Armenian Apostolic Church Bread Sticks (Simit)