Trump's decision is not a precedent for Artsakh issue but it creates platform for Armenia's diplomatic activity: expert
On Monday, March 25, the US President Donald Trump signed a declaration recognizing Israeli sovereignty over the Golan Heights. The document was signed during a meeting of the American leader with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu in Washington. In political circles it is noted that this recognition creates a precedent for the settlement of territorial disputes on the same legal grounds.
To the question of “Hay Dzayn” whether Armenia can also refer to this precedent in the settlement of the Karabakh conflict, and whether Azerbaijan will not manage to take the time and opportunity of this, regional expert Karen Veranyan said that history and bitter experience show that precedents are not applied in relation to other conflicts.
“For example, when the US recognized the independence of Kosovo, everyone said that this would serve as a precedent for other conflicts, including the Karabakh issue. Expert discussions were organized in order to move this problem into the legal field, and we saw that nothing happened”, - Veranyan noted.
"After Russia's recognition of the independence of Abkhazia and South Ossetia, also much has been said, for example, that this will create a precedent opportunity for some other conflicts. Parallels and forecasts were made in Armenian expert circles, however, we saw Russia had not taken any legal and political steps to advance the Artsakh issue.
The same applies to the Crimean issue. That is, from the point of view of international law, there are problems that are viewed ineffective as there are certain mechanisms of mutual trust, as well as there is application of double standards”, - he said.
- Booking.com defined the most hospitable countries of the world NEW 4 MINUTES AGO
- Serj Tankian supports sisters who killed abusive dad in self defense NEW 22 MINUTES AGO
- Yerevan Council of Elders extraordinary session kicked off (live)
- Red Wings offers passengers to visit Yerevan or Makhachkala instead of Georgia
- Georgian authorities stop Armenian passenger bus traveling from Russia for “transporting banned item”
- Bako Sahakyan participated in the presentation of case decisions collection of Artsakh Supreme Court
- Syrian military sends reinforcements to Hama for upcoming offensive
- 48.4 thousand people left Armenia for Russia in 2018
- Armenia supports Iran: Ambassador Tumanyan
- PM chairs regular Security Council session
- Minsk 2019: Arthur Hovhannisyan wins 1/8 final
- RA President named laureate of Prix de la Fondation 2019 at Crans Montana Forum
- OSCE to conduct monitoring at Artsakh-Azerbaijan border
- Georgian Airways offers passengers flights to Moscow via Yerevan
- White House confirmed exchange of letters between Trump and Kim Jong-un
- RA Parliament extraordinary session continues (live)
- President Sarkissian travels to Switzerland
- 17 years old Lutfieh Bilemjian
- Melting ice in the Arctic created new islands
- Turkey's lira weakens on election, policy concerns: Reuters
- A delegation of the Armenian community of Greater Montreal paid a visit to the Embassy of Armenia in Canada
- Militants allegedly hit Syrian jet over southern Idlib
- Talking about Peace Worrying about War
- Azerbaijani and Armenian Foreign Ministers Meet in Washington: Video Clip
- Vartan Gregorian Receives Carnegie Hall Medal of Excellence from Mayor Bloomberg