Turkey to restore historic Armenian church in Diyarbakir
Turkey will restore Surp Giragos Armenian church in Diyarbakir, Anadolu Agency reports.
Annan Ertem, director-general of the Foundations department, said 15 million Turkish liras ($2.75 million) will be spent on the restoration of Surp Giragos Armenian and Mar Petyun Assyrian churches in the southeastern Diyarbakir province.
The Ministry of Environment and Urbanization will provide the funds, he added.
"All historical buildings in the area will be restored," Ertem said.
Surp Giragos is an Armenian church built in the 16th century and it is the largest Armenian church in the Middle East, covering over 3,000 square meters.
Mar Petyun Chaldean Church was built in the 17th century.
- Life as it is... Today is Grigor Zohrap's birthday NEW 6 MINUTES AGO
- We and the portrait of Dorian Gray
- Syrian-Armenian artist Kevork Mourad to create six-meter hanging sculpture of Babel
- Prevention of genocide remains challenged, Armenia tells UN
- Real offer 130 million euros for Neymar ... plus Rodriguez or Bale
- Study shows vacation is good for the heart
- An Armenian's feat in Brest Fortress defense: Russian Defense Ministry's archive materials
- Armenia announces call for applications for Junior Eurovision 2019
- Armenia to hold international festival on Tigran Mansuryan's 80th birthday
- Armenian President meets famous American theoretical physicist, Nobel laureate Kip Thorn in Zurich
- The first in the history Talysh library to open in YSU
- Topics of the talks between Putin and Trump at G20 summit announced
- Delegation led by defense minister participates in Army 2019 International Military- Technical Forum in Russia
- Iranian Foreign Ministry: US forever closed the path of diplomacy
- President proposes to hold 6th STARMUS Festival in Armenia
- Armenia national detained during Tbilisi demonstrations is released
- Armenia has it all: Rosturizm on alternative to Georgia
- Winter Olympics 2026 to be held in Italy
- Azerbaijani FM’s claims are of non-constructive nature and devalue the seriousness of the peace process: MFA spokesperson
- US announced sanctions against Iranian FM
- Zohrab Mnatsakanyan's speech at 41st session of UN Human Rights Council
- President of Artsakh holds consultation on establishment of Investigation Committee
- Armenia Defense Ministry, Hi-Tech Cyber Security Center launch contest
- ADL and ARFD members held an inter-party meeting
- Opening of Charles Aznavour square in Chaville (PHOTOS)